The Kiffness are a live electronic duo from Cape Town, South Africa.
The members currently include:
David Scott – Production | Keys | Trumpet | Vocals
Mvelo Shandu a.k.a “Black Norris” – Bass | Vocals
Record Label: Sony Africa (Columbia/Epic), South Africa
Bookings & Press: BreakOut Agency | Natasha Burger | +27 82 561 4719
Addtional Info: www.thekiffness.com
Jazzy and groovy, steeped in traditions ranging from funky house to African pantsula The Kiffness’ sound is a dancefloor delight.
Their instrumental talent combined with a love for hype and uninhibited dancing means that they’re a real crowd pleaser and have yet to play a show where crowds aren’t going wild. The secret behind their live show is that they aren’t just musicians; they are performers, so the crowd can always expect nothing short of a huge vibe.
It would seem unlikely that a big Zulu boy and a skinny white boy from Sandton would become best of friends, but these two men met in their first year at Michaelhouse High School back in 2001. From endless hours of singing in the chapel choir to playing in the jazz band together, their unique friendship is solidly built on the foundations of music. Suddenly their friendship makes sense when you see them performing together on stage.
- The Kiffness was included in the iTunes list “New Artists for 2014″ to watch out for.
- The band has currently had 4 singles playlisted on national radio stations.
- “The Kiffness – Where Are You Going ft. Mathew Gold” made #2 on the 5FM Top 40, and “The Kiffness – Pushin’ On” and “Samuel Miller – Stepping Out (The Kiffness Remix)” are currently on the charts.
- Where Are You Going was rated as one of the top 100 songs of 2013 in South Africa based on radio play and sales, and was included in the Now 65 compilation CD in 2013.
- The band has played at many prestigious festivals, including OppiKoppi in 2011 and Rocking the Daisies in 2013.
- Dave and Mvelo were awarded music honours at Michaelhouse for their contributions to the Chapel Choir, Jazz Band and Natal Youth Choir. Dave went on to study at Rhodes University where he studied Jazz Trumpet as one of his majors, and Mvelo did a diploma in contemporary music in bass and drums at Damelin College. Both band members received diplomas in Sound Engineering from Cape Audio College, with Dave finishing top of his class with 98%.
Nice Things People Have Said
“Watch out Hot Chip, these guys are going to be HUGE.” – Goldfish
“It’s like smooshing Flight of the Conchords with Goldfish then sprinkling a teeny ammount of Die Antwoord (only the tasteful side of them) ontop.” – Ben Peters, Goodluck
“The Kiffness truly are, The Kiffness.” – Rob Van Vuuren
“The Kiffness never fails to bring the party to the party.” – Dani Toscano, This City is Music
“up-comers, the Kiffness, got the crowds smiling with their infectious mash of live-electronica and tounge-in-cheek South Arican vibes.” – Red Bull @ OppiKoppi